Blizzard Bag Assignments
Select one of the three assignments to complete. (In the event that there are more than one calamity day make-up assignments, one of the remaining two assignments will be completed. A third day of make-up would result in completing the final assignment.)
- Option 1: Perform a search on the Internet of career centers and/or career preparation schools around the globe. Select three training centers from different countries and prepare an information sheet about how career technical education is presented in other countries. Then prepare a summary paper of 2-3 pages typed defining how the centers deliver content against how we do business in the United States. Then select three specific careers and compare and contrast them in a 2-3 page typed paper with the same career in the United States. Include salary, benefits, work life, education and training, career focus, potential earning, and travel. Then prepare a journal entry of 3-5 pages written detailing your thoughts on careers and global differences. In lieu of the journal entry, you may prepare a 5 minute video journal entry of your thoughts of the process and what you learned. These three papers (and video if that option is used) must be submitted by the due date established by Tolles Career & Technical Center.
- Option 2: Visit www.monster.com On that website, complete a benchmarking activity (following their process) for three different career fields. Be sure to include salary, benefits, work life balance, education and training, career focus, possible commuting, and travel. Put the information into a 2-3 page typed Benchmark paper. Then complete and submit a Career Map (following the website’s direction) and print a hard copy to submit. Next, prepare a 3-5 page written journal entry detailing the benchmark and map data and what you learned. In lieu of the journal entry, you may prepare a 5 minute video journal entry of your thoughts of the process and what you learned. The three papers (and video if that option is used) must be submitted by the due date established by Tolles Career & Technical Center.
- Option 3: Visit http://ohiomeansjobs.com/omj/ Explore three careers of your choosing and prepare a 2 page typed paper on the job outlook for those chosen careers in Ohio for the next five years. Then watch 3 career videos (available on the website) and write a 1 page typed journal entry for each of the videos in order to highlight what you learn. In lieu of the journal entry, you may prepare a 5 minute video journal entry of your thoughts of the process and what you learned. Next, visit www.madisonworks.com and research the Youth Works Program. Learn how that program could impact your career path and training then prepare a 1 page written summary of your findings. The three papers (and video if that option is used) must be submitted by the due date established by Tolles Career & Technical Center.
Disclaimer: This activity is being employed because Tolles Career & Technical Center has exceeded the allowable number of calamity days for the 2013-2014 school year. In order to recoup lost instructional hours, the following assignment is designed to be inclusive and challenging to the extent that students will have an intellectual experience to augment their year’s learning. The assignments are a direct reflection of on-going educational pursuits within the scope of Tolles Career & Technical Center.
Justification: This activity is supported and encouraged through a process created by the Ohio Department of Education and in compliance with the Ohio Revised Code #3313.88 and House Bill 153.
Attendance: If a student completes the assignment and receives a passing grade, he/she will be considered in attendance for the calamity day. If a student receives a failing or incomplete grade on the following assignment, he/she will be counted absent for the calamity day.
Grading: Grading of this assignment will have three components.
- The first component will be completion of said assignment.
- The second component will be quality of information
- The third component will be MUGS (mechanics, usage, grammar and spelling)
An actual district wide due date will be established and published via communication through CT teachers and on the website.
- Assignment one: assigned on April 1 and due April 15
- Assignment two: assigned on April 15 and due April 30
Assignment submission requirements:
- The assignment will be submitted to the student’s Career-Tech and Applied Time instructors assigned to their labs.
- Those instructors will be responsible for scoring the assignment/s based on the standard Blizzard Bag Rubric.
- The instructors will then submit the incomplete and non-passing scores to the Attendance Office to be counted as an absence. The instructors will also submit all passing scores to the Student Services Office.
- The Attendance & Student Service Offices will prepare a spreadsheet with all students’ grades on the assignment and post the attendance to DASL/Progressbook.
- The assignment will be valued at 30 points for each academic course and career technical program.
- Teachers will use the spreadsheet provided to record grades/attendance for each student in Progressbook titled Blizzard Bag 1 Option (1, 2 or 3) & Blizzard Bag 2 Option (1, 2 or 3).