Each summer, the Ohio University Dublin College of Health Sciences and Professions and Columbus State Community College host PATHS 2 Academy (Professions Aligned Towards Health Sciences and Human Services). This three-day academy is designed for rising 10th through 12th grade students in central Ohio to explore healthcare careers. Due to demand, we’ve added a second session this year to accommodate additional students. Both sessions are identical in terms of programming and students may only attend one session. The pertinent details are included below, along with a link to website where the application is housed.
What: PATHS2 Academy (Professions Aligned Towards Health Sciences and Human Services)
Who: Rising 10th and 12th graders (limited to 50 participants per session). Students who are the first in their family to attend college or are from underrepresented minority populations are highly encouraged to apply.
When: June 13 – June 15 (Session 1) and June 25 – 27 (Session 2)
Where: Ohio University Dublin Campus
Cost: Free to attend
Questions: Email PATHSAcademy@ohio.edu
Students must complete the online application that includes a one-page essay and a teacher recommendation. Online applications are accepted beginning February 1, 2018 through March 1, 2018. The application and supporting documentation must be received by March 1, 2018. Admission decisions will be emailed on April 1, 2018.
Sample Planned Activities and Exercises:
· Perform phlebotomies and intubations
· Learn about human anatomy through interaction with a human cadaver
· Demonstrate and apply their knowledge with patient simulations of how the body works
· Scrub in for surgery
· Perform diagnostic imaging and testing
· Learn heart and lung sounds using simulated patients
· Explore the importance of diet, lifestyle and exercise to wellness
· Review EKGs, identify infections and care for wounds